Friday, October 8, 2010

Life is a box of chocolates

Life is a box of chocolates.  This week, I was given that piece of chocolate that noone ever wants.  The chocolate that you take one bite of, and then you put it right back.  Yuk!!!!!  Well, I have no choice but to chew it softly and enjoy the wonders of its flavor. 

Monday afternoon, minutes before I was off for the day, I received a phone call from my boss.  Immediately I thought he was calling about a work order that was in process.  He asked how my day was going, then he proceeded to tell me that he had a bit of bad news.  He said "Fran, unfortunately I have a bit of bad news for you.  The company has come to a stump in their business, and its forcing them to make major cutbacks.  I have to let you go."  What!!!! There was a pain in my gut that was so painful.  It felt like that pain you get when you want to cry out loud, but I didnt.  The only thing I could say was "Okay".   We hung up.  I logged off for the day, took a deep breath and then went to the bathroom.  I looked at myself in the mirror, prayed to God, and said "God, I know this is part of your will, please give me the wisdom and courage to be strong during this transition".  At that very moment, God held me as if to say "My daughter, everything will be fine".  The pain in my gut was gone. 

I've decided that I was not going to let the one minute conversation define me.  Rather, I am counting the 12 years of opportunities that I was given.  Bernards (the company I worked for), had been so good to me and my family through the years, and I must not take this personal.  I've met great people through the years, and this was a part of my journey.  God has always provided for me and my family, and I'm happy to continue my walk in faith. 

So in ending, there's a lesson in this analogy....."for those of you who continue to pick the chocolates that everyone wants, try that piece of chocolate that noone wants.  You never know, it may be your favorite flavor :)

2 comments:

  1. Fran,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your lay-off. I am happy that your Faith in God is carrying you; as He always has. I know that sometimes we don't understand His plan, and sometimes we may not even like it; making our first instinct to resist it. But we must have Faith in our Father that His plan is for our good. I have often thought about it like we parent our own children. Our kids may not understand our reasonings for our rules and ways; but they are our children, our job is to protect and guide them. Even when they think we don't have their best interest at heart, we do. We know best as their parents, that is how we raise them and guide them. And I truly believe that it's this same way with our relationship with God. God knows best. So I hope that any worries you might have will be lifted by your constant prayer that, "God knows Best" and walk strong in your faith in this new journey . . .

    I love you with all my heart,
    Mis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mis...I know it may seem like something to be sorry about...but I am excited for a new path in my life. I know that God knows what I have to offer and I'm ready for great the great opportunities in store for me. I do see parenting the way God loves us. Our congregation was asked one day, If it came down to it, would you sacrifice your child if it would save the world...how can you ask a parent to do that...that is exactly what God did for us and I am forever saved and greatful for it...I know that I would never be able to sacrifice my children. Thanks for your words of encouragement and wisdom, I love you with all my heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete